My new book comes out on Tuesday so I created a short video explaining what I believe TRUE Influence is.
In the interest of practicing what I preach, I incorporated some influence tactics that should help sell some more books. And in the interest of preaching what I practice, I’m going to explain the reasons behind my choices.
First, here’s the video:
- This video is mostly just me talking to the camera. I wanted my face on the screen as much as possible so the viewers can begin to connect with me on a personal level. White background and a plain shirt. No distractions. While animations, special effects, or fancy graphics could have impressed people, connecting with people is much more important. In this case, humanity beats technology.
- It’s the real me. No stage makeup. No dying away the gray. No overly-expensive suit and tie. No camera tricks to whiten my teeth, tan my skin, or give the illusion of muscles. This is all in alignment with my message of authenticity. Of course, I did get a fresh haircut and shave. I mean, you don’t have to look like a hobo to connect with people.
- The background music is slow. The world is moving fast, but yet the book teaches the magic of human connection. The emotion, tone, and the beat of the song match the message of the book nicely.
- I say “I believe…” a lot. I’m not trying to convince anybody by saying “You need to believe THIS!” I’m not trying to gain favor by saying, “Do you believe this? Yeah, me too!” Instead, I’m connecting with the viewer by vulnerably sharing my beliefs first. The people who agree will resonate with me. The ones who don’t, won’t. No convincing required – just connection.
- I indirectly address my book’s biggest competitor – the wish list. The wish list is where good books go to die. I don’t know about you, but my wish list is a mile long and I only rarely dip into it to make purchases. If I’m not compelled to buy now, then it’s likely that I won’t ever buy. However, if I just said, “Don’t put it in your wish list!” then you’re actually MORE likely to do so because all I’ve done is planted that seed. Go back and see how I make adding my book to your wish list seem almost embarrassing.
- I use different camera angles to reinforce that this book’s perspective is different. Twice in this video I switch to camera view #2. Both times I’m contrasting my book’s theme (human connection and true influence) against the status quo (convincing, manipulating, exploiting, persuading).
- I use the tried-and-true formula, Attention-Interest-Desire-Action (AIDA).
Here’s the script I followed, broken down into these four classic components…
I believe that if you want to move mountains, you’ve got to be able to move people.
But it’s harder than ever to do that. Information is moving faster, attention spans are shrinking, ads…skipped and ignored – it’s frustrating, but it’s not your fault – technology has changed how we live our lives and how we do business.
The fact of the matter is that with all this noise…you are ignorable.
Stating a problem is one of the best ways to grab people’s attention. These three sentences state that influence is essential, but also quite difficult – now more than ever. In addition, it calls to mind the fear of being ignored – a fate that no one, especially no business owner, wants.
That’s why I believe that influence is no longer about convincing people, but rather, connecting with them.
You can never build the quantity of your fans and supporters until you build the quality of your influence.
And you can’t just fake it till you make it. Impact comes with integrity. It’s about serving first, selling second. If you want people to listen when you speak, lead where you follow, or buy what you sell, then you must understand that influence is not a skill. It’s a series of skills. There is a framework, there is a hierarchy, there are levels to this game and you don’t want to find yourself stuck in an important situation, when the stakes are high, armed only with the same psychological mind tricks that all the gurus are teaching.
These three paragraphs create interest and curiosity by discussing the flawed ways by which MOST PEOPLE approach influence. It also hints that there is a new way to solve the problem of influence (namely, “connecting with them”…but HOW?)
When you get this book, you get the scripts, the stories, the tools, and the strategies that modern science has shown to be the keys to building influence the right way, with the magic of human connection.
Because I believe that when persuasion is the goal, manipulation happens, exploitation happens, but when connection is your goal, true influence happens.
If you disagree with that, then do yourself a favor and just leave this book on your wish list. It’s not for you.
But if TRUE Influence is important to you, then this is the book you’ve been waiting for.
This section mentions some features and benefits of the book, but really stirs desire by saying who the book is NOT for. Viewers want to prove that they’re “in the smart club” by agreeing with the advantages of connection and influence over manipulation and exploitation.
There’s nothing like a crystal-clear call-to-action and this one leaves no room for doubt. And you really should order before the pre-order bonuses go away!
THERE ARE MORE…
What other influence strategies did you notice? Comment below!